Senin, 13 Mei 2013

The Most Important Lesson



During my elementary school years, I began to compare my mother with all the mothers of my friends. Most often, I would compare her with the mother of my best friend, Tiffany Sherman.

Tiffany always came to school with the most fashionable clothes, the most beautiful makeup and the most instyle hairdo. Her weekly allowance could feed a family of five in Cuba for a year, and she had more jewelry than I had grass in my backyard. She coordinated her shoes stantly had a glamorous group of people following her, and more or less, she always got her own way.

All of the boys in school would have killed to have her for their girlfriend. Tiffany was allowed to go to rock concerts, to go places alone with a boy and to have two sleep overs in a row which three things that my mom had never let me do. Her mom showered her with money for things she did that my mother took for granted, such as getting good grades and making the bed. Whenever I went to the mall with Tiffany, she would whip out a crisp USD100 bill, and I would be standing there with two fives and a handful of quarters.

Whenever I didn't get what I wanted, when I wanted it, I would scream out the classic,"Tiffany's mother would let her! I wish she was my mother." My mom would calmly say-every time-"Poor Tiffany."

Tiffany got to boy that USD200 outfit. "Poor Tiffany." Tiffany got to hire an interior decorator to redo her room. "Poor Tiffany." Tiffany had a television in her room complete with DVD player and surround sound system."Poor Tiffany."

I never understood my mom. She shouldn't be feeling sorry for Tiffany! I thought. She should be feeling sorry for me! Tiffany had everthing, and as far as I was concerned, I had nothing.

One day, I had heard it one too many times. I cracked. "Poor Tiffany?! Lucky Tiffany! She gets everthing she wants! She practically has the world at her feet, and you're feeling sorry for her?!" I burst into tears and flopped down onto the sofa.

My mother sat down next to me and said softly,"Yes, I do feel sorry for her. I have been teaching you a lesson, hope, that she will never be taught." I sniffled and looked up at her."What are you talking about?" My mom looked at me with sad eyes. "One day she will want something, really want something, and she'll find out she can't have it. Life doesn't work like that, you know. You don't get every thing you want. Her mother won't always be around to hand out cash, and what's more- money can't buy everything.

"But you! I have taught you valuable lessons by not tossing you every dollar you desire. You'll know how to look for bargains and save money- she won't. You'll understnad that you need to work hard to get the things grown woma, she'll wake up one day and her mother's money will be gone and she will be wishing she had a mom like the one you've got. Life lessons, Hope, are more important and necessary than rock concerts and Gucci clothes."

I understood my mother's lesson. It took some time, but I eventually understood it. I look forward to the days when I am a smart woman and I know how to fend for myself. And I will truly pity those who won't. "Poor Tiffany."

Hope Rollins, 13 yrs old (Chicken Soup for girl's soul)
Posting Komentar